Sunday, September 04, 2011

When British Females Collide

(I apologize for the bad quality)

It's an interesting week on the UK Singles Chart this week as 3 of the UK's hottest (give or take) female acts go head to head to head with their latest singles: X Factor winner Leona Lewis' "Collide" the lead single from her forthcoming third album Glassheart, pop singer Pixie Lott's "All About Tonight" the lead single from her currently untitled sophomore album and girl-group The Saturdays' "All Fired Up" the second single from their forthcoming third album.

As it stands on iTunes, The Saturdays are currently in the lead at #3 just behind Maroon 5/Christina Aguilera's "Moves Like Jagger" and Example's "Stay Awake." They had the highest debut on iTunes of all competitors, debuting at #20 around midnight, while both Lott and Lewis were not yet in the top 100. However, I presume this could be down to heavy pre-orders. Lott's "All About Tonight" is at #9. I expect this to overtake The Saturdays soon, following her performance on the new (and quite awful) British game show Red or Black tonight. Lastly, Lewis' "Collide" is at quite a harsh #20, despite her performance on Red or Black last night.

Earlier this week, my bet was that "Collide" would be on track for an easy #1 debut--despite Leona's quite patchy chart-record. Her last single "I Got You" became her first to miss the top 10 peaking at #14, while its predecessor "Happy" debuted at #2. But now, I'm not so sure that will be the case. As things stand, I think Pixie Lott could do it, despite her even worse chart-record. Beginning her career with 2 #1's and everything else she released after that missing the top 10.

The Saturdays' doing it could be a surprise as they have yet to score a #1--and I personally do think this single is worthy. However, there's a chance next week's #1 could not be any one of them and Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger" could hold off all of them as it still maintains a healthy lead at #1 on iTunes.

4 comments:

ww_adh said...

Great headline! It's a great race, isn't it? I haven't been a big Saturdays fan, but I think I like their song best. I like Leona, but "Collide" is not really doing it for me.

J.Mensah said...

I've always liked the Saturdays, but I've never really been that fussed about them, not really. But there's something about "All Fired Up" ...and I guess how awesome they look in the video that has me being more receptive of them now. Now, I agree it's the best song if the three. However, I have played Collide nearly 600 times since it leaked.

J.Mensah said...

Maybe I should of titled it: It's All About Fired Up British Females Colliding On This Weeks Chart. Too long?

ww_adh said...

Yeah. What you did was just right.