Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Single Reviews

Leona Lewis / Avicii - Collide (4.5/5) I can't quite remember the last time I played the same song so many times in a row on my iPod. Leona Lewis' new single "Collide" is brilliant, I guess what I love most about it is its backing track, to which the credit goes to Swedish DJ Avicii, who now is officially credited on the track. The poignant piano keys that back the pounding bass lines, accelerating synths and of course Lewis' blustery vocal--it's fantastic.

Young the Giant - Cough Syrup (4.5/5). American rock band Young the Giant have a great sound. Moody with a rough rock-glazed edge, kind of like the Editors or a more inaccessible Killers. "Cough Syrup" is just one of the many highlights from the bands self-titled debut released last year. Thanks to Loy for turning my attention to them.

Calvin Harris - Feel So Close (4/5). I didn't like Scottish singer Calvin Harris' last single "Bounce" as much as I probably should have, however luckily his latest is miles better. Very intense, with insistent, harrowing synth chords, heavy bass lines and a great addition of piano keys during the verses that work very well.

Ed Sheeran - You Need Me, I Don't Need You (4/5). New British talent Ed Sheeran's second single showcases a different side to budding singer/songwriter in comparison to "The A Team" a gentle acoustic ballad--with quite a depressing message about a hooker--while this thrives with a beefy rhythmic production and confident lyrics about wanting to "be a product of (his) genre."

Bruno Mars - Marry You (3.5/5). The fourth single from Bruno Mars' Doo-Wops & Hooligans isn't my favorite from the set, but it's a nice catchy retro ditty which will probably become another #1 for him. It's already in the top 10 in the UK.

Nicki Minaj Featuring Rihanna - Fly (3.5/5). I must have reviewed this at leat 5 times, but it's now finally a single--its accompanying video premiered during Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards--I loved it when I first heard it, but now I've grown tired of it.

Beyonce - Love On Top (3.5/5). Apparently, this is the third single being released from Beyonce's latest album 4, following her performance at the VMA's. I'm not that keen on it, although I do like the '70s soul vibe and th never-ending key changes towards the end.

4 comments:

Project Mobius said...

Let me say something about Beyonce, and tell me whether you agree with me or not. On 4, she's not trying to make hit songs. She's trying to make solid, retro songs that fit the R&B audience. I think that "Love On Top" suits her market there very well, but it doesn't sound at all like a hit song.

Also, you're right with a couple other reviews ("Feel So Close", "Marry You"), although I don't feel that "Marry You" will become a #1 hit in the U.S. There are too many good songs out now for "Marry You" to hit #1.

Project Mobius said...

Sorry for making 2 posts, but I wanted to make this separate. Are you going to review "The Carter IV"? It's hit really huge here in America, and I think it would be nice to get your take on it.

Note: I've never really been a big fan of LW myself, but after "How to Love", I've found it's possible that he can actually make a good song.

rcLoy said...

That link does not work! Edit please! LOL.

I gotta agree with P. Mabius about Bey. 4 is a solid album. Love On Top is one of my faves.

Collide is good and video is superb. Polka dot bikini? Oolala~

I'm glad you're a clan member now. LOL. Cough Syrup is one of my faves this year and do check out their VMA performance. AWESOME! As you said, they're like the TDCC this year for me! Go check out their album.

I didn't know that you don't dig Bounce as much I did. He's on fire for me this year. I can't wait for his album.

Kinda dig this Ed Sheeran fella's single so far.

Bruno Mars is a hit maker and my friend want Marry You to be played in her wedding :) but the Glee Cast version of course :) HAHA.

J.Mensah said...

Project Mobius: I definitely agree, she obviously didn't create the album to land hits... which would definitely explain why the album hasn't spawned a top 10 hit yet. But still, I guess it boils down to personal taste, I think 4 is her second-to-worst album ahead of B'Day.

I'll definitely review Tha Carter IV. I love it! I've been waiting for it for ages!

rcLoy: Fixed lol!

I'm really in love with Young the Giant!