Sunday, April 17, 2011

Singles Reviews

I haven't done this in awhile, so there's quite a few:

This is Why We Fight - The Decemberists (4.5/5)
Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO feat. Lauren Bennett & Goonrock (4/5)
Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair - Arctic Monkeys (4/5)
Young Blood - The Naked and Famous (4/5)
Happy Now - Take That (4/5)
Judas - Lady Gaga (3.5/5)
If You Wanna - The Vaccines (3.5/5)
Look at Me Now - Chris Brown feat. Busta Rhymes & Lil Wayne (3/5)
Sweat (Remix) - David Guetta feat. Snoop Dogg (1/5)

Click below to read the full reviews:


This is Why We Fight - The Decemberists (4.5/5). So the best in the bunch--and currently my #1 single--is "This is Why We Fight" by American indie/folk band The Decemberists, lifted from their sixth album The King is Dead. They have a distinctive roosty, country-tinged ambiance to their sound, showcased excellently on here; clocking on melody backed with the obligatory drums, acoustic guitars, banjos and percussion. It's the best song on the album.

Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO feat. Laura Bennett & Goonrock (4/5). Poised to top the UK singles chart this week is this anthemic number by American electro-hop group LMFAO. It's got the same care-free "have a good time" message you've heard before, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. It seems you can't have too many new-decade dance floor fillers.

Young Blood - The Naked and Famous (4/5). This is a pretty good dark rock number from New Zealand rock band The Naked and Famous--very aphotic and downbeat, undercut with piercing electronic undertones, heavy guitaric layering and chanting. It's pretty cool.

Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair - Arctic Monkeys (4/5). Arctic Monkeys seem to be venturing into darker indie rock territories with this new single; layered angry guitar chords and a rapid drum backing. I like it, I'm looking forward to their forthcoming fourth album Suck it and See.

Happy Now - Take That (4/5). The progression of Take That singles, particularly from Progress is fascinating--from the grand British pop of "The Flood," to the military stomping, jaunty piano-backed pop of "Kidz" now to the weird robotic, synth-drenched "Happy Now." It's strange, but it sounds awesome, a little experimental too but as Robbie states it's "a positive experiment."

Judas - Lady Gaga (3.5/5). I wasn't a fan of "Born This Way," thankfully it's follow-up "Judas" is way better. It's your classic modern-day dance floor filler; clobbering beats, seeping electronic undertones and a catchy chorus--so not particularly breaking any new ground--but it's a damn fine pop tune.

If You Wanna - The Vaccines (3.5/5). Instant, layered-guitar rock with a blustery production. My only gripe is that it's way too short, but it is one of the highlights from the band's debut album What Did You Expect from the Vaccines?

Look at Me Now - Chris Brown feat. Busta Rhymes & Lil Wayne (3/5). While everyone seems to be in love with "Beautiful People" I'm not that into it, however what I am willing to overlook Brown's cuntish ways for is "Look at Me Now," I tried not to like it but it's infectious: Pounding kinetic bass-lines and bursts of scattering drum beats, it's awesome. If anything, Busta Rhymes' verse is the star here--so rapid it's ridiculous!

Sweat (Remix) - David Guetta & Snoop Dogg (1/5). This is awful! You can't put penetrating synths and a throbbing dance floor production over Snoop Dogg dully repeating "I wanna make you sweat" and call it a song. It's actually quite insulting.

3 comments:

rcLoy said...

And I am just about to ask you what you think of the new Gaga song. Ah, I feel kinda similar about it. Anyway, you not diggin' the Sweat song? AH, that come as a surprise. That song have so much swag. I thought it would be your kinda thing. LOL. I don't dig it as well. Hahahaha.

Project Mobius said...

Yeah, I can't stand "Sweat" either. It's barely a song, following an odd trance/hip-hop vibe that doesn't work well.

I also think you hit the nail on the head with "Judas" and "Party Rock Anthem". You've got my taste in music!

J.Mensah said...

rcLoy: Sweat is awful! I just don't understand how you can be in a studio--make this mess and say "yeah! I think we got a hit" (yeah, I guess it's a hit, but still!)

PM: Your taste in music awesome! what a compliment! :)