Saturday, March 19, 2011

Previewing Vaccines and Strokes



I've been looking forward to British inide rock band The Vaccines for a while now. Lead single "Post Break-Up Sex" was great and from I'm hearing so far, the album definitely doesn't disappoint. Like I pointed out before, their sound is definitely reminiscent of a watered down Strokes. Opening track "Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)" is less hook-laden than "Sex" demonstrating their love of layered muffled-guitar driven rock.

Conveniently, American rock band The Strokes' fourth album Angles, is another album I've been looking forward to. I haven't heard this one yet, however early reviews for it indicate to another winner for the band. Rolling Stone awarded the record 4 stars, calling it "10 songs built mostly from basic rock-combo parts, charged and scarred with an exacting attention to musically and romantically turbulent detail."

Spin give the album 8 out of 10 stars, calling the band "a group of reunited rock stars somehow come on like wide-eyed kids." My reviews on both albums will be up soon.

No comments: