Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Single Review: Matt Cardle - When We Colide (4.5/5)


Former pub singer Matt Cardle was crowned the seventh X Factor winner on Sunday, accumulating over 44% of the votes over runner-up Rebecca Ferguson and is now poised to top the UK singles chart this week is his debut single, a cover of Scottish alternative rock band Biffy Clyro's "Many of Horror (When We Colide)," which they released earlier this year.

It's actually a pretty awesome cover and as well as liking the original, I've also taken to it because it's not the cheese charging surge of previous winner songs, particularly last years' winner Joe McElderry's cover of Miley Cyrus' "The Climb," which I did, in fact, think was just awful. "That's My Goal," "A Moment Like This," and give or take "Hallelujah," were pretty big on the cheese factor too. This is refreshing and even stripping away the X Factor tag, is quite a pleasant listen. Cardle joins quite a lengthy line of failed male X Factor winners. I hope the writing's not on the wall for him as it would be quite nice to see a male winner acheive the same level of success as Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke with their first albums.

2 comments:

rcLoy said...

I must say I quite enjoy this and I actually check out the pretty darn awesome Biffy Clyro version too after hearing it. Might just be one of the best winner song I've heard from X Factor. BTW high5 on the comment about The Climb.

J.Mensah said...

Ah! The Biffy Clyro is indeed awesome! and Yeah... The Climb sucked. :/