Thursday, December 30, 2010

Billboard Hot 100, January 8, 2011

1. Grenade - Bruno Mars
2. Firework - Katy Perry
(10. Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars)

Dethroning Katy Perry's "Firework," from #1 is R&B crooner Burno Mars' "Grenade," which moves a notch to the pinnacle this week, scoring Mars' his 2nd solo chart-topper and his third overall; selling a massive 559k copies this week; a personal sales best for the singer as well as one of the biggest one-week sales for a single ever. Trailing closely behind is Perry who's "Firework" dips a spot to #2, however still remains bulleted, selling a just as impressive 509k copies. Both singles join the ranks of Flo Rida's "Right Round" which moved a heavy 636k units last last year and Kesha's "Tik Tok," which did a cumbersome 610k a year ago today (the same week Lady Gaga missed a chance #1, selling 450k of "Bad Romance") as the biggest one-week sales for an American single. "Grenade" is also this weeks airplay gainer. Mars also rounds out the top 10 bookending with "Just the Way You Are," which falls 4 spots to #10.

3. We R Are Who We R - Kesha

Kesha returns to the top 3 with "We R Who We R," re-bounding 5-3. I'm expecting to begin to fall in the next few weeks as its lost its bullet over on Mediabase; although I'm predicting a very tedious fall as its still in the top 3 on iTunes.

4. What's My Name? - Rihanna feat. Drake
5. Raise Your Glass - P!nk

Both Rihanna's "What's My Name?" and P!nk's "Raise Your Glass," fall down a notch but still remain bulleted. Both singles still in the top 10 on Top 40 Airplay as well as iTunes.

6. Black and Yellow - Wiz Khalifa

American rapper Wiz Khalifa scores his first top 10 with "Black and Yellow," it's the lead single from his forthcoming third album, currently untitled climbing 6 spots up to #6. The closest Khalifa had gotten to a charting single on the Hot 100 was with his single "Say Yeah" in 2007, which peaked at #12 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 (the equivalent to #112 on here). Is these ones of those novelty American hip-hop tracks that will find its way over to the UK after being such as success here? Is Wiz the B.o.B. of 2011?

7. Tonight (I'm Loving You) - Enrique Iglasias feat. Ludacris & DJ Frank E

Enrique Iglasias is having quite the chart-comeback, following his first top 10 in years with "I Like It," featuring Pitbull last chart year, Iglasias has scored another with "Tonight (I'm Loving You" which leaps a solid 6 spots up to #7. It's his 5th top 10.

30. I Just Had Sex - The Lonley Island feat. Akon

Comedic American trio The Lonely Island land their first top 40 single with "I Just Had Sex" with Akon, a SNL comedy sketch turned top 40 hit. The last couple appearances on the chart was with T-Pain on "I'm on a Boat" which peaked at #56 in 2009 and "Jizz in my Pants" which peaked at #72 the year before (I'm surprised it didn't peak higher than that, I remember it being so popular).

39. Rocketeer - Far*East Movement feat. Ryan Teddar

American electro-hop quartet land their second top 40 hit "Rocketeer," rising 2 spots up to #39. Can this be as big as "Like a G6"? It features OneRepublic front-man Ryan Teddar.

2 comments:

brian morris said...

Interesting but I feel telephone is a little overrated. As hey soul sister had similar downloads and more memorable lurics.

J.Mensah said...

I see where your coming from, at first I felt it was a little generic, but isn't all great pop songs? lol As for "Hey Soul Sister" I'd rate highly on lyrics, I just never really got into them! Awesome that it was such a big hit though!