Monday, June 21, 2010

Album Review: Robyn - Body Talk, Pt. 1 (4/5)

Swedish pop singer Robyn returns with the first of her three-part follow up to 2005's Robyn, an album which re-ignited her career and landed the singer's first chart topper with "With Every Heartbeat." The first part in the Body Talk series only consists of 8 tracks including the penetrating synth drenched lead single "Dancing On My Own."

The albums opens with "Don't Fucking Tell Me What to Do" a simple composition of synth, bass and simple lyrics along the lines of ("My mangers killing me, my mother killing me...") the simplicity soon doctors into the more charged electronic and bass heavy "Fembot," which includes the clever lyrical spin-off of the saying "When you go black you never go back," she raps, "When you go attack you ain't never going back," and fitting electronic grunts and vocals in the background.

"Cry When You Get Older" uploads some piercing '80s inspired synths and beats, but more tamer than anything so far. Unsurprisingly "Dancehall Queen" has some electronic eccentric Jamaican influences. Bass heavy "None of Dem" follows nicely before piano-laden ballad "Hang with Me," slows things down. Closing the first part of the album is delicate and vulnrable "Jag Vet en Delig Rosa" which in English means "I Know of Lovely Rose." Body Talk, Pt. 1 is solid offering on Robyn's part--nothing extrodinary but nothing underwhelming. I'm looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

Best: Dancing On My Own, Fembot, Hang with Me, Cry When You Get Older

No comments: