Sunday, December 06, 2009

Best Albums of the 2000s (61-70)

61. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2004). Scottish alternative rock band Franz Ferdinand had a great debut, becoming a big UK seller as well as garnering critical acclaim for their different approach to alternative rock landing them their first hit with "Take Me Out." Essential track: "Darts of Pleasure"

62. Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin (2004). After the strict punk-rock sound on her first album, Avril Lavigne stripped down for her second delivering a more darker and mature set of aphotic pop/rock. Essential track: "My Happy Ending"

63. U2 - No Line On the Horizon (2009). Following a five year hiatus since their last album U2 furthered their status as one of the world's best rock bands with their twelfth album even despite not landing as many hits. Essential track: "No Line On the Horizon"

64. Evanescence - Fallen (2003). The wake of '03 saw a new era of Gothic rock emerging into the mainstream with its front-runners being Evanescence being its front-runners with their highly successful debut album. Essential track: "My Immortal"

65. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds (2006). After the success of his debut after disbanding with N'Sync, Justin became the front-man in mainstream R&B and pop in '06 with his sophomore album showcasing a modern blend of electronic influenced pop and R&B earning him a Grammy nomination for Album of the Year. Essential track: "SexyBack"

66. Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane (2002). Illustrating their love of funk, pop and rock was Maroon 5 on their enticing debut, shaping the sound of mainstream pop/rock in '02. Essential track: "She Will Be Loved"

67. Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2007). In Your Honor was a commercial and critical success however I didn't like it very much, it's follow up was much better, which wasn't critical or commercial success however did win the Grammy for Best Rock Album. Essential track: "The Pretender"

68. Madonna - Music (2000). Following her '90s electronica masterpiece Ray of Light, Madonna followed it up at the start of the decade with Music a solid pop album with some electronic flair however was less impressive than its predecessor, but still good. Essential track: "Don't Tell Me"

69. Kanye West - College Dropout (2004). Kanye West had a great start to his career, his debut didn't score any big hits but was a big-seller, was hailed upon critics as a masterpiece and received a Grammy for Best Rap Album. Essential track: "All Falls Down"

70. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (2009). After landing one of the decades best rock albums (which appears later), this year they followed it up nicely with an album just as good, further proving Green Day as one of the best rock bands of the decade. Essential track: "Know Your Enemy"

6 comments:

Paul said...

blimey - that wasn't there a second ago! Music by Madonna is a great album - i prefer the less showy Amazing and Don't Tell Me to the brash Music but it all works. Maroon 5 Songs... is another album that would be higher if i could be bothered to be as organised as you are and do a list! Every song on that album works wonders for me. Just love it. Yes yes yes to Justin (didn't he look smart and lovely) and Franz and somewhat yes to Avril :) Loving this!

J.Mensah said...

Haha! I only woke up half an hour ago and felt like typing up the next bit before going out. I really love Music too (espeicially "Don't Tell Me") however I like [Can't tell you yet lol] even more which is in my top 30. Songs About Jane is a wonderful album, hmmm... I think you should do a list, I'm sure EVERYONE's waiting for it. It's actually a shock I included Justin as I was thinking of blacklisting him however I heard recently he apologized to Janet for the whole 2004Superbowl thing so I re-thought it :)

rcLoy said...

I still remember really diggin' Kanye's All Falls Down, the video is just brilliant at that time. Great stuff.

This Love and Sunday Morning is the main reason why I am in love with Maroon 5, it was so fresh and brilliant back then. Sweetest Goodbye should be a single! This album is one of my birthday pressie that year too. Love it to bits. Adam's falsetto. <3 I would place this album much higher~

Uh, JT's FutureSex/LoveSounds is this low? I personally love this album to bits too, everything is so cohesive from the beginning to the end. Great party album. SexyBack is so unique and such a stand out track at that time and I really respect him for making it work, "bringin' sexy back" LOL. Another birthday pressie too.

I don't really listen to many album, but most of my faves is already on the bottom half of this list, I wonder what you got for the top 20! Ahhh :D (there better be a Snow Patrol album up there!)

Oh, High5* Paul! Maroon 5 and Justin! LOL, Songs About Jane and FSLS works for me too :D

J.Mensah said...

Oh, that "All fall Down" video was so creative I really did love it too. Justin was lucky to be in my list at all lol--I've had such a hatred against him for so long, but this album is amazing. I wanna reply to your snow patrol comment but I don't wanna give anything away too soon, yo! :)

ww_adh said...

I was listening to the College Dropout again today, and I don't care for it as much as his other albums. Music is amazing and will appear way way higher on my list.

J.Mensah said...

I ptobably would like Music more if it didn't follow up to the brilliant ROL.