Monday, December 07, 2009

Best Albums of the 2000s (41-50)

41. The White Stripes - Elephant (2003). It took me awhile to embrace alternative rock duo White Stripes, but soon I came around to appreciating their love for corybantic rock and soft bouyant blues craft. Essential track: "Seven Nation Army"

42. Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below (2003). There weren't many but Outkast was the decades biggest hip-hop duo, Stankonia was a critic favorite however I preferred this, the duo's fifth album which was essentially two albums from each member put together, a full blend of hip hop, funk, soul, pop and jazz. Essential track: "Hey Ya!"

43. All-American Rejects - Move Again (2005). The All-American Rejects tuned Fall Out Boy for their second album except with broad appeal for mainstream pop fans with its adequate rock punk/pop flair and strong melodies and harmonies. Essential track: "Stab My Back"

44. Embrace - Out of Nothing (2004). British band Embrace had had string of decent albums however their magnum opus came in the form of their fourth album that became their biggest selling and most critically acclaimed. Essential track: "Ashes"

45. The Killers - Sam's Town (2006). The Killers didn't quite top their debut with this, however was still thoroughly enjoyable showcasing '80s rock, Bruce Springstein and U2 influences. Essential track: "Read My Mind"

47. Norah Jones - Feels Like Home (2004). After clearing out the Grammys with her blockbuster debut, Nora Jones furthered away from the blend of jazz and acoustic-pop that launched her career and indulged in more folksy endeavors which ultimately still worked. Essential track: "Carnival Town"

48. Linkin Park - Meteora (2003). Following their masterpiece debut (which comes up much later) Linkin' Part followed up with an even more hard rock-influenced, edger set of songs also landing the popular worldwide hit "Numb." Essential track: "Somewhere I Belong"

49. Dido - Life for Rent (2003). Dido hasn't done it for me this decade, I've never been a fan of her (and her easily mis-sexually interpreted name didn't help) however I do appreciate this album as I know it was critically acclaimed and a big-seller--and there are a handful of good tracks on here. Essential track: "White Flag"

50. Alicia Keys - The Diary of (2004). After ascending to the forefront of soul with her debut album, she semented her stay with her second illustrating an appealing old school swagger and contemporary R&B. Essential track: "You Don't Know My Name"

7 comments:

Ken said...

Love most of the albums posted in this one. Although I don't have physical copies of Outkast, Embrace and the White Stripes.

ALICIA's one of the best everr.

Nikki said...

Haven't been keeping up with all your posts (I've read the one with the Craig David album though) but I agree with Ken - Alicia Keys = BRILLIANCE. Hahah.

rcLoy said...

Same here, Seven Nation Army killed it for me with the White Stripes. Brilliant!
Not much of a Alicia fan, but I remember Hey Ya! being uber addictive back then. Crazy lyrics and video~ LOL

Mel said...

You're killin' this! So many reminders of so many great songs and albums released this decade! I have so much catching up to do!

J.Mensah said...

Alicia's Diary is one of the best R&B albums of the decade it's Flawwless! :)

A White Stripes fan, woop! :) I agree "Seven Nation Army" is a knockout, the first few chords at the beginning of the song is such a great moment in pop for me.

Why thank you! ;) I always assumed the '90s as a whole had a better collection of albums than this decade but after making my list, I'm not so sure anymore.

ww_adh said...

Yay to the White Stripes. I hope Norah Jones' first album shows up. And how come you always spell her first name without the H?

J.Mensah said...

I checked through my previous posts and realized my mistake. I don't why I've been doing that. Oops!