Saturday, December 12, 2009

Best Albums of the 2000s (1-10)

1. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002). From the crashing opening notes of "Politik" to "In My Place" one of the greatest pop moments of the decade--beginning with drums before the melodic mash of guitars kick in (one of the most distinctive melodies ever) to the career-defining "Clocks," Coldplay's second album is an undeniable alternative masterpiece. Best: In My Place

2. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006). In 2006 Amy Whinehouse made '60s inspired retro-pop cool with her dazzling second album, showcasing her winning blend of old Motown and retro '60s pop influenced sounds, delivering gratuitous melodies and heart-stirring soulful vocal stylings, such as the heartfelt ballad "Love is a Losing Game." Essential track: "Rehab"

3. Luther Vandross - Dance with My Father (2003). This is the best R&B album ever made let-alone the best from this decade. Whilst Luther had mainly remained consistent through his releases since 1986's Give Me the Reason, however Dance with My Father was his magnum opus, a true masterpiece, delivering a fresh blend of '80s influenced urban throwbacks, modern uptempo grooves and vocally calculated dulcet balladry. Essential track: "Dance with My Father"

4. Green Day - American Idiot (2004). It still shocks me that this was Green Day's seventh album as for a long time I thought it was their second or third. It's classic punk rock with an arresting storyline whilst delivering an ambitious and solid 14-track set as well as providing one of the best rock moments of the decade with "Wake Me Up When September Ends." This takes me back to primary school, I listened to this so many times. This was originally my #1. Essential track: "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

5. The Killers - Hot Fuss (2004). On the note great debuts, The Killers were the hottest band of '04 and so was their debut album, front-loaded with great alternative rock with lots of pop appeal to broaden their audience. I've listened to this album so many times it hurts, but it never gets old, It's such a brilliant album. Essential track: "Smile Like You Mean It"

6. Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (2002). It doesn't seem that long ago that Norah Jones took the world by storm with her debut album, an absolute classic blend of jazz, acoustic-pop and soul. Selling a staggering 20 million copies worldwide and winning a five Grammy Awards including Album of the Year. Essential track: "Don't Know Why"

7. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000). This is the first rock album I ever really got into. Linkin Park delivered such a perfect debut, full of an engaging set of rock tracks that don't obnoxiously use "screaming" to emulate the archetypal theory of rock rather using the collision of electronic guitars, drums, strings ect. to create a sound that itself envisions rock, which really shows on "A Place for My Head." This is a masterpiece. Essential track: "In the End"

8. Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway (2004). Similarly to how Jagged Little Pill transformed Alanis Morrisette into a worldwide superstar following her generic pop beginnings, Breakway brought Kelly Clarkson's career to astronomical heights, emerging at the forefront of pop as well as delivering the best pop album of the decade, introducing her now signature pop/rock sound effortlessly showcasing her stunning wide vocal range. Essential track: "Behind These Hazel Eyes"

9. Jay-Z - The Blueprint (2001). In a nutshell: Jay-Z delivered the best hip-hop album of the decade, just edging out both Eminem and Kanye West (Ironically, this album featured production from him). The first in the Blueprint series, proved through and through that he is indeed the top rapper in the industry, delivering a solid set of lyrics, beats, melodies and top-notch production. Essential track: "Song Cry"

10. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters (2004). Their winning blend of '70s and '80s influenced pop made the Scissor Sisters amongst the biggest band of '04, capitalizing on that winning blend on their joyous debut, ultimately becoming the biggest selling album of the year also winning Best International Album at the BRIT Awards the following year. Essential track: "Take Your Mama"

13 comments:

Ken said...

Wow. Amy Winehouse at #2. This is awesome!

ww_adh said...

So close to #1! I'm wracking my brain thinking about what it might be and can't figure it out. I was thinking Britney's In The Zone, but then I saw that way down the list. Great top 10.

10. Love it. Will be in my top 10 too.
9. This is in a lot of lists, and I actually listened to it for the first time this morning. Not my thing, but I can appreciate it being here.
8. Great album. No complaint here.
7. I've actually never listened to Hybrid Theory, despite it being a huge hit.
6. Delightful album.
5. Really up there! I like the Killers album a lot, although it is a bit uneven.
4. Great album. Surprised to see it so high.
3. Probably the most unusual choice in your top 10. That's quite a compliment. My favorite song from him was "Power of Love/Love Power." He died fairly young.
2. I adore this album. Great choice.

Can't wait to see what's #1!!!!

Nikki said...

I REALLY think your number one album is something from Britney. I think.

That Kelly Clarkson album should be called legendary, really. Like you said, it made her bigger than big but it also upped the level of Idol alumni - if you're not as big as Kelly you're kinda pushed to the side.

rcLoy said...

Ah, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is one of the rock album that I can digest without having a headache. Norah Jones too, not my usual cup of tea but I totally dig it.

Wait, I am suprise that you didn't include BSB in the list XD

Paul said...

Scissor Sisters and The Killers would both be in my top 15 I think. Both great albums. And I really enjoyed Breakaway over a longer period of time, so that would feature somewhere. Dying to know what number one is :)

J.Mensah said...

Ah! You all remember how much I love Britney and that album, but I don't think I love it enough for it to be #1. I put clues in several of the posts See: Jay-Z had the best hip-hop album (9), Kelly Clarkson had the best pop album (8), Luther had the best R&B album (3), Green Day had the best rock album (4), Amy Whinehouse had the best soul (2) and Norah had the best jazz (6) so there's only one classic album from the decade from a genre I haven't yet mentioned yet. Can you guess now? :)

Mel said...

Incredible Top 10!!! ::rushes off to listen::

J.Mensah said...

I'm merging both posts together, so I'm moving all your comments from there to here.

rcLoy said...

Congrats *clap clap clap* *pop champagne!!*

After your comments of giving out the clues, I sorta guess that it has to one of the alternative rock acts.

I enjoyed reading all your stuff, seriously, cheers! :D

Ken said...

YEY! This is great! COLDPLAY for #1? Yes. I absolutely agree on this!

and congratulations for an awesome job on this one! *joins RCLOY in the party*. LOL. :)

Paul said...

great list :) I think though when i reveal my number one of the 00s it's safe to say it's dramatically different to yours!!

ww_adh said...

Excellent choice! Brilliant album. I love how you describe the opening of "In My Place"; I've always really liked that moment. You've done quite a nice job with the whole series. I'll have to work extra hard now to make my own add value. It will start on Friday.

J.Mensah said...

*Joins Loys party* lol. Thank you for your comments... and for reading all my eleven posts :) I can't wait to start reading ww_adh and Paul's list and carry on with Ken's.