I've been listening to the new Rihanna album all day. You wouldn't be wrong if you guessed the new album conveys a darker sound in comparison to her previous three albums... a very darker sound, it's almost awkwardly disheartening, but Rihanna pulls it off well as delivers a aphotic blend of rock, electro-pop and R&B. I'm not a prude or anything but if there was a Rihanna album that deserved a parental advisory tag it would be this one, she sure let her potty mouth go on this one.
2) Wait Your Turn. A cutting-edge urban flavored number with hard hitting electronic bass line.
4) Stupid in Love. A dramatic ballad, laced with a piano front and rhythmic clicks. She sounds pretty good on here. It's probably the same eery vibe "Unfaithful" tried to go for.
5) Rockstar 101. Possibly the albums biggest departure from Rihanna's archetypal sound as she embraces a blend of rock and R&B, including a thundering electronic guitar played by former Guns N Roses' member Slash.
6) Russian Roulette. Haunting (depressing) ballad, still sounds good.
8) Rude Boy. Something more lighter and tastefully sexually fueled.
12) Cold Case Love. Very subdued for the first half however quite compelling still--it has a nice melody. I like the '80s styled electronic guitars that soar at the songs climax.
This is pretty good however I do think it'll do for Rihanna what, My December, did for Kelly Clarkson, whilst it critics liked it--the shift in her sound didn't connect too well with fans and ultimately limited sales. Full review will be up shortly.