Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Best Albums of the 1990s

Before I start compling my best of 2010 lists this month, tomorrow I'll start counting down what I thought were the best albums of the 1990s, in the form of a top 100 list gradually compiled over the course of this year. Initially, I wanted to build up to the list with weekly reviews of selected albums off the list, but a large chunk of the albums I included I only discovered this year (some even only weeks ago), I'm mostly talking about some of the rock I included such as Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Wilco and the Stone Temple Pilots, most of whom I've heard of before but never really made an effort to get into, particularly Radiohead.

I tried to make my top 100 list as varied as I could, a good mix of alternative rock, heavy-rock, pop, R&B, hip-hop and country. I also tried to pick albums from each year of the '90s, my birth-year 1994 actually nabs the most entries in my list with 17 albums and 1990 has the least, which wasn't surprising as my best of 2000's list didn't have many albums from 2000 either (although in hindsight there are a handful of albums from that year I would happily switch for).

Lastly, as well as a healthy balance in genres, I also tried have a good balance in albums that either sold a lot, were a big hit at the grammys, were critically accalimed, landed a lot of hits and ones that I just flat-out love.

1 comment:

ww_adh said...

I think this will be interesting. The US and the UK were much more divergent in the '90s than they were in the '00s, so it will be interesting to see what you choose.