Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Precious


Because a UK release has not yet materialized, I saw Lee Daniel's Precious online today, based on award-winning 1996 novel Push. An arresting story set in 1987 Harlem detailing the trials and tribulations of an overweight and illiterate 16-year old girl Claireece Precious Jones, who resides within a debilitated family--an abusive mother, played by Mo'Nique and father who rapes and impregnates her twice(!) with her first child suffering from Down Syndrome--all with dreams of being a star bottled up inside.

With such a compelling storyline, it's surprising that the hype sorrowing Mariah Carey's role as the welfare worker is indeed not the centre of the movie, which would be absurd. I love this film so much, it didn't bring me to tears however did trigger some emotions. The scene where Previous looks in the mirror and sees a thin white girl staring back at her is a really captivating scene and really got to me. Check out the trailer below:

7 comments:

ww_adh said...

I saw this a few weeks ago. I thought it was really good. Gabourey Sidibe, Mo'Nique and Paula Patton (the teacher) were are excellent. I agree the shot of her looking in the mirror and seeing a thin white girl was really effective at portraying how she felt about herself. I thought it was nicely bookended with a later scene--after she's become more confident--and looks in a mirror and see's herself as she truly is. Powerful film. Did you catch the pop music anachronism? The movie was set in 1987, but there was a song from 1992.

J.Mensah said...

Wow! You actually noticed that? was that towards the end? I don't remember much of the music they used but I do remember Mary J. Blige's "See through Colour." Something about that "mirror" scene did something to me I can't put my hand on it. Strange...

Mel said...

Awww you make me want to see this so bad! I'm torn between wanting to read the book first or seeing it in the theatre...probably going to lean on the latter. Maybe next weekend.

ww_adh said...

It was Bobby Brown's "Humpin' Around," which didn't come out until 1992.

F said...

i cant wait to see this

rcLoy said...

Everyone been raving about this movie. I think I have to give it a go if I have the chance.

J.Mensah said...

Loy you have to see it! It's such a brilliant movie!