Monday, December 14, 2009

Mariah Rules for Another Decade



I've been enjoying reading Billboard's End of Decade recap today. There are a lot of highlights, however the biggest is Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" being crowned the most popular song the decade, landing its place at the pinnacle of the Hot 100 songs tally. Released in 2005 as the second single from her tenth album, The Emancipation of Mimi, the song quite literally saved Carey's career following a sharp decline in popularity during the first half of the decade.

The song holds the record for the longest running #1 of the decade, tying Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling," both topping the chart for 14 weeks, however this isn't the first Carey's been bestowed the honour of most popular song of the decade, in the '90s her duet with Boyz II Men, "One Sweet Day" found also itself atop of Billboards End of Decade's Hot 100 list. The song topped the chart for 16 weeks, which is in fact the longest running #1 in Billboard history.

It's overwhelming popularity maybe contribute to why I don't really listen to this much anymore. The song is still getting played regularly on TV four years after its release (kind of like Britney Spears' "Toxic") however I would still name one of the best songs of the decade as I do greatly appreciate what it acheived for her. Hm, maybe I should make my own list.


3 comments:

rcLoy said...

Used to get so obsessed with We Belong Together, rarely hear it these days except when I go to Karaoke, that song is a nice song to singalong even though we usually fail when she starts to do high pitch thingy. LOL

Paul said...

while i didn't love Mariah as much in the 00s as I did in the 90s, i still stick with her career because each album gives me at least one song that I absolutely adore...

J.Mensah said...

Loy, I've always loved that bit LOL "WHEN YOU LEFT I LOST A PART OF ME!!!" haha!

Paul, Like how Memoirs gave you I want to know how love is? :)