Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best Albums of All Time

After doing the Best Albums of the Decade list, If I were to make a list of my favorite albums of all time, these would be some of the albums I would concider for my top ten. I don't particularly listen to any albums that go beyond the early '80s, most of these albums are from the '90s.


U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987). One of the most well-crafted rock albums of all time, with the right amount of soaring balladry and slight mainstream appeal to keep the whole thing balanced.

Madonna - Ray of Light (1998). Her most experimental and interesting album yet. Lyrical depth, captivating blend of electronica and pop. And it's one of those records that make you think. I love it.

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope (1997) and Rhythmn Nation (1989). Rhythm Nation is a classic, one of our lifetimes perfect dance albums; Cutting edge beats with social intelligence, pop at its finest. If it wasn't how closely attatched I was to The Velvet Rope and the meaning behind it I probably wouldn't care as it's not a completely solid album, but a good one in all.

Mariah Carey - Daydream (1995) and Butterfly (1998). Daydream is one of the most perfect pop albums ever made, not a fault in sight. Very ballad-heavy showcasing Mariah's vocals with no room for filler. I like Butterfly a lot, the album is another I hold closely to my heart even though it's not perfect, there's at least four tracks I don't like but the rest is an immaculate blend of pop and R&B.

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt (1996). One of the best hip-hop albums ever made, a tight collection of sultry beats and lyrical depth, definately hip-hop at its finest, probably a standard that will never be matched again.

Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982) and Bad (1989). There's not more I can say about Thriller that hasn't already been said, the album is a pop masterpiece and so is its follow-up Bad.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1995) and Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (1998). I love Jagged Little Pill mostly for its confidence and outspoken nature, Morissette's off-beat vocal, especially on the opening track "All I Really Want," just works. Follow-up Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is just as good even if it does have too many lyrics and deserves more credit for being so.

Celine Dion - Falling into You. I like this album a lot, a tad excessive for a pop album however it's Celine at her best, you can't overlook her vocal power and genuine craft on here, I've fallen into this many times. Just for note I thought its follow-up Let's Talk About Love sucked.

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988) and Fear of a Black Planet (1990). Before Flava Flab became horny old man with his own canceled reality show, he was a fifth of powerful rap group who had something to say. These two albums are pact with such uncencored rage and passion, sometimes over the top but still the albums wouldn't have worked if they were tamed.

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991). The album that changed the face of rock forever, bringing alternative rock into the mainstream, it's a masterpiece within itself however I don't listen to it too much.

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002). I've gushed about this album a lot, it is my favorite album of the decade--alternative rock has never sounded better.


Prince - 1999 (1982) and Purple Rain (1984). Prince's sultry mix of funk and soul, with elements of rock is effortless making these two albums his best. Unfortunately I havan't gotten into any other album by him.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Beyond DIFFICULT! You mentioned some really great ones, I love that you have such a well rounded and respected music taste.

Mine would prob include En Vogue's Funky Divas, Whitney's The Bodyguard SDTK, Janet's Janet, TLC's Crazy Sexy Cool, *NSYNC's No Strings Attached and Mariah's Music Box/Butterfly, because they have such sentimental value. But...I'd really have to think about this one. Rough.

J.Mensah said...

Aw! :) Thank you.

Everyone loves both Janet's janet and Mariah's Music Box a lot, I like them too but I've always thought they were popular because they sold a lot and not because they were their best. I LOVE Funky Diva's and CrazySexyCool too, espically "What About You Friends" and "Waterfalls."

Mel said...

Mmm. Might also be because they came out when many of us bloggers were wee youngin's that it has so much respect for our current generation. People are nostalgical in that regard, or at least I am...I know I was a tiny thing when they both came out...so I kind of grew up with them.