Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Best Albums of the 2000s: Honorable Mentions

I'm off sick today so why not not blog. Here are 11 albums that I've loved this decade that failed to make my list, in no particular order:

Backstreet Boys - Black & Blue (2001). Teen-pop at its finest. This was the 'Boys last all-round solid album, delivering a polished set of mid-tempo pop and ballads. Essential track: "Shape of My Heart"

Lil Allen - Alright, Still (2006). Lily Allen's debut album showcased her nack for fun and quirky British pop, as opposed the more serious It's not Me, It's You. Essential track: "LDN"

Gorillaz (2001). I was quite the fan of Blur's Damon Albarn's virtual band Gorillaz, however back then it was the fun cartoon inspired music videos, but I now I apprciate its blend of alternative, rock and hip-hop. Essential track: "Clint Eastwood"

Coldplay - Parachutes (2000). Before Coldplay discovered their love for grand stadium sounds, their sound was more pure and simple with soft melodies from a blend of electronic and acoustic guitars, drums and keyboards. Essential track: "Yellow"

Britney Spears - Blackout (2007). I've started to appreciate this more since its release two years ago. In the Zone showcased Spears' diversity whereas Blackout's tough electro-pop edge showed she was still up there with the best of them. Essential track: "Heaven on Earth"

Snow Patrol - Final Straw (2003). Snow Patrol's debut wasn't as strong as its follow-up, the tracks suffered from having little distinction between them however still remained thoroughly enjoyable. Essential track: "Run"

The Stokes - Room on Fire (2003). It was always going to be hard to follow-up to a masterpiece, The Strokes follow-up to Is This It I felt was somewhat hit and miss however the album did showcase some growth and was still enjoyable.

Embrace - This New Day (2006). I've been quite attacted to this album as of late, I listen to it everyday on the way to school. I love the stunning production work leaving every single track a worthy moment. Essential track: "Nature's Law"

Kelly Clarkson - My December (2007). Following the massive success of Breakaway, Kelly Clarkson followed it up with the dark My December. Obviously not on happy trails, the album delivered a dark blend of pop and rock. Essential track: "Never Again"

Hilary Duff (2004). There's a lot about Hilary Duff's self-titled second album I like, however what I like most is its effortless blend of rock and pop that's so captivating. Duff doesn't have the sexuality of Britney nor the voice of Christina however this still remains her best work even if its a bit excessive. Essential track: "Underneath This Smile"

JoJo (2004). Only thirteen, but still a voice that could rival Christina's. JoJo's first album is often mistakenly labeled a pop album when for the most part most of the songs are R&B influenced. I love this album to pieces, such a fine teen album. Essential track: "Never Say Goodbye"

7 comments:

Ken said...

Love Lily Allen's although I don't find the songs there as strong as 'INMIY'. 'LDN' and 'Smile' are brill.

Coldplay, Snow Patrol are love but JoJo's too is outstanding.

Mel said...

I prefer Hilary's Dignity, but that's because she ventured off into a new song that wasn't so hinged on having a voice...

No love for *NSYNC? Were you not a fan? :(

rcLoy said...

Snow Patrol, Gorillaz and BSB!

OMFG! You know I am so going to comment on this post when you put BSB, right? LOL.

Black & Blue brings back so much good memories and I still love it to bits now *singing "now let me show you the shape of my heart..."* The last 2 tracks are personal faves. Ah. Love.

Oh, 19/2000 is just pure brilliance the 1st time I ever listen to it, my faves Gorillaz's song, what a video too :)

Paul said...

I sometimes forget how brilliant Shape of my Heart and The Call are. Shame on me :)

ww_adh said...

Hope you feel better. I agree Snow Patrol's Final Straw album was too samey samey throughout, but there are good songs there. Coldplay's first album will definitely appear in my top 100 list.

ww_adh said...

"Loneliness is tragical"...brilliant? I'm teasing, I like "Shape of My Heart" too.

J.Mensah said...

We're all in unison about BSB that's nice! :)