Saturday, June 26, 2010

Album Review: Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite (4/5)

Capitalizing on a music career spanning over 20 years, Australian singer Kylie Minogue releases her eleventh album, Aphrodite. Like the electro-pop of lead single "All the Lovers" suggests, Aphrodite is crammed with synths, upbeat fun electronic soundscapes and instrumentation's all eluding a sence of celebration and why not? When you've made it 22 years in the industry and you're still a respected pop artist, I would think you'd have more than enough reason to celebrate.

Following "All the Lovers," "Get Outta My Way" cranks up the tempo, pushing a rich frothy electronic disco-studded dance-pop production with some cool melodies recalling the same dance-pop as Madonna's "Jump." It's definately one of the best tracks on here--"Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)" follows up on that frothy dance-pop production and melodies nicely. It's sounds good but it's not that different apart from the cool piano and synth section. "Closer" slows things down a bit, eluding some progressive 80s-influenced penerating synths and bass. A classy mid-tempo but still as inviggorating as the first three tracks.

"Everything is Beautiful" has a nice laid-back feel good vibe, not as electronic-studded but very bass-heavy, so is the title track "Aphrodite" only evoking a little more attitude ("I got soul, you check in my heart, in my head"). The bass in "Illusion" is pretty strong too matching it with strong synth lines and a glossy dance-pop production.

"Better than Today" is another feel-good track. It has a nice throwback vibe to it and some cool lyrics ("what's the point in living if you don't take a chance/what's the point in living if you don't wanna dance"). Aptly titled "Too Much" offers some bulky electro-pop drenched in loud synths, probably complementing the title very well. The songs towards the end of the album aren't as effective nor as interesting as the ones prior. Following the same "electro-pop drenched in loud synths" route is "Cupid Boy" only not as good. "Looking for an Angel" has a sleek mid-tempo production but lacks the stomper of a chorus to make it a winner like "Closer" has. "Can't Beat the Feeling" isn't bad, it sounds good but also sounds like it's recycled from the same formula that made the first half of the album work so well. "Mighty Rivers" closes the album well, showcasing some warbling soundscapes and subtle electronic synth lines.

Aphrodite is a solid album, definately a winner for Minogue and noticeably better than 2007's X. However my only gripe is the lack of distinction and variation between some of the tracks, some moments do seem a bit pick a sound that works and re-hash it over and over again. I hope it's a success for Mingoue only because both 11th album releases from Madonna and Mariah Carey weren't the big commercial success' they were penned to be.

Best: All the Lovers, Get Outta My Way, Closer, Everything is Beautiful, Illusion, Aphrodite

7 comments:

ww_adh said...

I'm anxious to hear this too, although I've been more excited about the Scissor Sisters album. Are you counting Confessions or Hard Candy as Madonna's 11th album?

J.Mensah said...

Hard Candy cause it didn't go platinum in the states or over here. :/ Why is there some kind of couting fault in her albums?

婷珊 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。....................................................................

江婷 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。.................................................................

ww_adh said...

I generally count I'm Breathless as an album, although I realize not everyone does.

rcLoy said...

Boo! I've been listening to it quite a while before I made any decisions about it. So here's my late comment.

The first four tracks can be pretty magical and I'm smiling from ear to ear.

Too Bad you're not into Too Much, eh? :P It's perfect for me. So it's Cupid Boy and Can't Beat The Feeling.

I feel Aphrodite it's a major step forward in Kylie's music career and seriously, she better milk all the potential singles in this album!

BTW I'm loving the fact you're using frothy electronic, glossy dance-pop, disco studded dance-pop to describe the album. Sounds like my kinda album and it is :) GREAT great review.

J.Mensah said...

I'm sorry! I just think there's too much going on in "Too Much." I do agree that the album has ALOT of poteintial singles though! And thank you, yo! :)